History of Crooked Oak
Crooked Oak Baptist Church began as a multi-denomination congregation called Sandlick. It is rumored to have been in existence as early as 1757, but the oldest record held within the church is 1859. The original church building was the meeting place for both the Baptist and the Church of Christ believers in the area. It was located in the Crooked Oak Community near an area known as Acre Rock. As recent as 2000 the old stone steps were still at the site.
Joshua and Sarah Walker gave land in 1878 for Crooked Oak Baptist Church to be built. The church was built at what is now the north corner of the Crooked Oak Community Cemetery. Across the road from the current building. The Baptist believers of Sandlick held services here while the Church of Christ believers moved to what is now Piney Grove. In 1896 this original building burnt. The Walker family again donated land for a church to be built.
A wooden frame building was built where the present church stands today. This building was later torn down and replaced with a sandstone rock building. The rock building has evolved through the years to the current cream-colored brick building with stained glass windows, fellowship hall and kitchen in the basement, and concrete parking lot. The sandstone planters placed on either side of the main entrance steps, the north side corners of the church and around the church sign are rocks harvested from when the church was bricked.
The church holds a handwritten membership roll that shows the earliest baptism occurring in 1859. The earliest handwritten minutes held, dated 1895, show the pastor as F. M. Jackson and church clerk as J. L. Caboniss. Currently serving as deacons are Leroy Taylor, and Gene Authur.
The second Sunday in June is our annual homecoming. Traditionally there was a singing Saturday night, but as times changed so did the singing, so now there is only a singing Sunday afternoon. Sunday school and preaching are regular services on this day followed by dinner on the grounds and an afternoon singing. The first week of August each year brings our annual Revival services.